Thursday, March 30

Movie Outlet

My wife and I drove up to Rhode Island over the weekend and on the way we stopped for a bite to eat at a Denny's I know just off of I-95. I only go to Denny's for the hash brown potatoes, which, despite its having over 40,000 restaurants, I have not found duplicated anywhere in New York City.

As we sat enjoying our food I happened to look out the window and notice that there was an outlet center across the street. A large sign listed the stores available and, at the bottom, a small notice said "Cinema VII".

I wondered what kind of movies would be showing at an outlet cinema so, after paying the astonishingly small check, we took a walk over.

Here is what I found.


  • All the movies seemed to be either 29 minutes or 9 1/2 hours long ("Yeah, we had some 2 hours films last week, but they went pretty fast").

  • Several came in only one color ("We've got Godfather III in red, House of Wax in green, and I Am Curious in yellow").

  • Quite a few were missing some features that you think would be pretty standard ("Well, you didn't expect to get a soundtrack at these prices, did you?")


Unfortunately, we didn't have time to see a movie that day - although I was tempted by a silent, 29 minute, all blue version of Titanic - but as we drove away I made a mental note to stop on the way back just to check what the new inventory looked like.

Who knows? I might find a real bargain.

No comments: