Monday, October 9

Hey, Old Timer.

I recently caught myself talking like an old man.

Being a Baby Boomer I am, of course, rather sensitive when it comes to aging. In fact I identified my age as “late twenties/early thirties” until I was 42 years old. Now that I’m in my late forties/early fifties it is even worse.

So recently when I was having a conversation with my wife and I realized I was contradicting and complaining about everything she said, it came as quite a shock. I could hear my voice, but the words coming out were those of Old Man Krabbit, who lived across the street from us when I was a kid.

Old Man Krabbit never had a nice day, never met a man he liked, always griped about the weather, complained about ill behaved children, hated dogs, and was generally a miserable person.

Now here I was, acting the same way. I was even on the verge of using the word "tarnation".

So I bit my tongue, apologized to the Missus, and vowed not to be so gol darn cantankerous.

I mean, I’m too young to act like an old man.

Dagnabbit!

No comments: