Monday, April 7

Grief, Quantified

Several people have asked me "So where's the blog been, Jim?"

The fact is I lost my job and have been pretty busy looking for a new one.

It's tough to lose a job.

To admit you've been let go.

Terminated.

Fired.

Asked to leave.

Downsized.

You name it.

It occurs to me that losing a job is like losing a friend. A friend that you maybe didn't like too much, maybe was a little boring. But someone you had gotten used to.

When you lose a friend you grieve, and the same thing happens when you lose a job.

Elizabeth Kübler-Ross in her 1969 book "On Death and Dying" (thank you, Wikipedia) says there are 5 stages of grief.

1. Denial (I can't believe they fired me.)

2. Anger (I can't believe those FUCKING BASTARDS fired me!!!)

3. Bargaining (Hey, maybe if I take a pay cut...)

4. Depression (You know, I really kinda miss that job...)

5. Acceptance (I can't believe those GODDAMN FUCKING BASTARDS fired me!!!!!)

Okay, so I haven't quite gotten to the Acceptance part yet.

6 comments:

Kathy Rogers said...

THAT sucks. Sorry. Hope your search goes well. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

So you're following "Things I'm Grateful For" with things you're NOT grateful for.

Sorry you were "Let go". (Sounds less like a personal affront than "Fired") Glad you're back.

Anonymous said...

Jim - glad to have you back, but sorry about the job. Hope something turns up for you quickly. Maybe this is an opportunity to decide what you want to be when you grow-up?

imran khan said...

I recently discovered your blog and have found every piece I've read to be quite beneficial. My issue is that I receive a lot of traffic but very few comments!

Mahar said...

able2extract professional

Double Dyed Piercing said...

Business assistants help bridge cultural gaps and foster productive relationships with local partners. business assistant service in cambodia