Sunday, April 10

Gay thoughts

I cannot tell if a man is gay just by looking at him. I don't just mean the swarthy banker or scruffy truck driver who's gay. I mean for years I thought The Village People were a bunch of guys with good voices making interesting wardrobe choices.

This causes great consternation among my friends who are more attuned to sexual orientation than I. I'll go on and on about when is so-and-so going to settle down and get married and they will look at me as if I were a child and explain the facts to me.

I must say I take a certain guilty pride in my ignorance. After all, isn’t that what this country is all about? Accepting people for what they are and not judging them. The term “color blind” is used to describe people who exhibit no racial bias, but there is no term for someone who is blind to sexual orientation. “Gay blind” doesn’t sound right and “sexual orientation blind” sound pretty clinical.

How about “no queer eye for this straight guy"? I don’t know if that sounds so good, either. I'll have to check with my gay friends. If I can figure out who they are.

One thing I do know, though. Liberace? Nice teeth for a piano player.

1 comment:

SuzanH said...

Stopped by trolling through blogger and that last line just cracked me up.

Nicely done.

Hope you get those 10,000 steps. Sounds like a good idea.

I took my 8 year old daughter to a dance and she had just gotten a pedometer and did over 14000 steps in 2 hours. Amazing.