Sunday, April 17

Help Desk

The other day I had to call the help desk of my cell phone manufacturer because of a technical glitch I was having.

A young man with the musical accent of South Asia came on the line. "Hello, this is Rick. How can I help you?" To my shame I must admit he didn't much sound like a "Rick". Maybe a "Sanjay" or “Mammooty”, but not a "Rick".

I explained my problem and he was very helpful, giving me detailed instructions on how to reset my ringer, which I had accidentally turned off. “Do not feel badly. This happens with great frequency”, he said patiently.

“Well, thank you ‘Rick’”, I chuckled.

“Why do you laugh at my name?” He sounded offended.

“Sorry. It’s just that with that accent, you don’t sound like a ‘Rick’”. I tried to put a wink in my voice.

He didn’t seem to hear my wink. “Well, sir…” he began angrily, suddenly changing his accent to that of a Louisiana senator “… if ah talked lahk this would y’all feel bettuh!”

“No, of course not.” I was flustered. “I, I, I believe all men are created equal, regardless of color, creed, or condition of linguistical inflection.”

He returned to his original tone. “I do not believe ‘linguistical’ is a word, sir.”

“Yes, well, thank you, Rick” (no wink or chuckle this time). “You’ve been really helpful”.

“It was nothing, sir. And remember, if you have any more problems…Y’all come back now, y’hear.”

No comments: